Monday, May 23
Because I Don't Have Enough To Do Edition
- Spun up a virtual server running Ubuntu 22.04 today. So far I have nothing to complain about. Which is good, if dull.
- AMD officially announced Ryzen 7000, due "this fall". (AnandTech)
Most of the information we already had about it has been confirmed - though the 24 core model turns out to be wishful thinking at this point.
The base model is 15% faster than the special edition Ryzen 5800X3D, which is good though not huge. But it will go up to 16 cores where the X3D is limited to 8.
Onboard RDNA2 graphics are confirmed for all Ryzen 7000 models, and clock speeds up to 5.5GHz.
- Also confirmed is that dual-chip chipset. (Angstronomics)
The chip is call Promontory 21 and is designed by Taiwanese company ASMedia - not a respin of the CPU's I/O chiplet. It's not a high-end design, but you can simply run two of them to get more I/O. They daisy-chain so you only get 4 downstream PCIe lanes from the first chipset, and 8 from the second.
It's a 7W part so it won't need a chipset fan, which was a problem with the AMD's first X570 chips.
- AMD also announced their rumoured low-end laptop chip. (AnandTech)
Low-end now being four Zen 2 cores, LPDDR5 RAM, and RDNA2 graphics, manufactured at 6nm.
- What's in which version of Python. (Ned Batchelder)
Very helpful if you run PyPy, the Python compiler, which is usually a version or two behind the default CPython. PyPy reached 3.9 about 4.5 months after CPython reached 3.10 - but it averages 4.5 times faster.
- Always look a gift horse in the mouth. (Bleeping Computer)
If someone is offering you free crypto, they are trying to steal the crypto you already have.
- Hollywood Designer 6.0 is a fresh update to the 20 year old multimedia authoring system - for the Amiga. (Amigans)
Bonus feature: No crypto.
- Which watches can get Apple's new software update. (9to5Mac)
I should see if I can get my 30-year-old Seiko fixed. Good watch. Never once crashed on me, until it did.
- Microsoft has announce that Windows 11 "doesn't suck as much as it used to". (The Register)
- Want to replace your iPhone battery yourself? Don't have the necessary tools? No problem! Apple will gladly sell you the 79-pound toolkit for $1200. (Liliputing)
Actually you can get the toolkit free for a week, but why do they need to make it so hard in the first place? On my Moto G4 you just popped the back off, unplugged the old battery, and plugged in the new one. Tool-free and took maybe a minute.
- Cryptocurrency should die in a fire. (Current Affairs)
This is a virus. Its harms are substantial. It has enabled billion dollar criminal enterprises. It has enabled venture capitalists to do securities fraud as their business. It has sucked people in. So either avoid it or help me make it die in a fire.Well, as to that...
Many that live deserve death in a fire. And some that die in a fire deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in a fire in judgement.Thanks Gandalf.
I shouldn't be nagging retards about things like vocabulary or diction or grammar, yet it's that thing where someone says something that I agree with, but their reasoning is entirely stupid; so anyone who uses the term "venture capitalists" in such a context must have gotten a crayon stuck up their nose when they were 22 and not even drunk at the time. I would put good money on xem having xeir pronouns in xer email signature slash twitter bio(graphy).
Posted by: normal at Tuesday, May 24 2022 02:38 AM (LADmw)
Posted by: Rick C at Tuesday, May 24 2022 05:32 AM (BMUHC)
Posted by: Rick C at Tuesday, May 24 2022 05:35 AM (BMUHC)
I'll bet I could sell him a black fist ass-plug as a bicycle seat.
Posted by: normal at Tuesday, May 24 2022 05:52 AM (LADmw)
Posted by: normal at Tuesday, May 24 2022 05:55 AM (LADmw)
58 queries taking 0.1957 seconds, 337 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.