Monday, September 20
Worm Dehorser Edition
- Some accidental clarity regarding that idiotic story about gunshot victims being turned away from hospitals in rural Ohio Oklahoma because the ICU beds were full of ivermectin overdosers: In the past six weeks in Oregon, the number of such patients admitted to the ICU is... Two. (OHSU)
Which isn't a lot, but it's odd that it happened twice.
A commenter on Slashdot points out that in the US last year, 951 people died in lawnmower accidents.
- Xata is a serverless database for serverless apps. (Xata.io)
Serverless is one more step of wishful thinking beyond cloud. There's no serverless, there's just someone else's servers and you have no control over what happens on them.
- People said I was mad to embed SMB in the kernel, but I embedded it all the same. It sank into the swamp. (Phoronix)
It has - surprising no-one - a security vulnerability. Involving .. which is the first thing you check when handling a file path on Unix-like systems.
And the patch to fix that has a buffer overflow bug.
- You can no longer run Windows 11 in VirtualBox. (Bleeping Computer)
Funny thing, I was checking my desktop system for that AMD chipset driver bug yesterday, and I noticed that it has TPM 2.0, the critical requirement for running Windows 11.
I still can't run Windows 11 because it doesn't support my CPU either.
- The Surface Pro 8 may or may not have leaked. (Thurrott.com)
It will be announced in two days so the chance of accurate leaks right now is high, but there's limited information of dubious provenance, so taking this with a bucket of salt for now.
The Oregon source looks like it might be an official organization, perhaps even a part of state government. Kate Brown is governor of Oregon, so anything official is wildly untrustworthy.
Forex, I understand that officially, Washington and Oregon haven't had the forest fire situations exacerbated by antifa/BLM arsonists. Grapevine from Washington is that there have been such arsonists in Washington.
Posted by: PatBuckman at Monday, September 20 2021 10:25 PM (r9O5h)
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, September 20 2021 11:19 PM (Z0GF0)
Posted by: normal at Monday, September 20 2021 11:44 PM (LADmw)
Not that actual numbers meant anything when you were arguing on the Internet, of course. :-)
Posted by: J Greely at Tuesday, September 21 2021 01:18 AM (ZlYZd)
58 queries taking 0.2031 seconds, 339 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.