Thursday, May 30
Terminological Streamlining Edition
- The PCIe 5.0 spec has been finalised. (AnandTech)
It's unlikely to actually reach the market before 2021 though.
- USB 20 is on its way. (AnandTech)
Also known (by idiots) as USB 3.2 2x2, parts will be shipping in August.
This uses the same USB-C connectors and cables as USB 3.1, but has a smarter controller and uses both pairs of wires at the same time. (With 3.1, the extra wires are only there so the cable still works if you plug it in upside down.) So it is exactly twice as fast, and twice as expensive to implement.
- Toshiba announced their XG6-P SSD but it only does 3.2GB/s so who cares? (AnandTech)
(Toshiba SSDs are actually pretty good - Dell uses them in some of their systems.)
- Now the IEEE has banned Huawei. (Tech Crunch)
- AM4 server motherboards! Get yer AM4 server motherboards! Lovely and fresh, right off the boat! (Serve the Home)
Since these are shipping right now, they are X470 and thus limited (at least for now) to PCIe 3.0. But they specifically support Ryzen 3000, as well as ECC memory and 10Gb Ethernet.
ASRock also showed off a Threadripper server motherboard, which is a bit of an odd duck but if you need the higher clock speeds vs. Epyc and can live with the lower memory bandwidth, could be very cost-effective.
- When a company makes "Don't be evil" its corporate motto, then changes it, you might start to wonder what they're up to. (ZDNet)
I hear that Firefox is nice this time of year.
(This is another dick move by Google, brand new and separate from the three I listed yesterday.)
- How NOT to get a $30k bill from Firebase. (Medium)
Don't fucking use Firebase?
(Guess who owns Firebase?)
- Meanwhile the problem with Microsoft Edg [sic] has been fixed. (Thurrott.com)
It was a bu, says Googl.
- My new development server at Binary Lane is working. I'm running Docker on LXC on ZFS on KVM on Ceph. I think it's Ceph, anyway; it's definitely OpenStack because they provide API access.
They also, unusually, support nested virtualisation, so I could run Docker on LXC on ZFS on KVM on ZFS on KVM on Ceph if I wanted to.
- Kara Swisher, censorship cheerleader. (TechDirt)
I sometimes wonder if there are two Mike Masnicks, the same way Glenn Greenwald has an evil twin from the goateeverse.
People need to rebel here as a few news sites actually do it. Don't listen to the USB IF's idiotic (but at least technically correct) naming. There is no USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.2 Gen 1, there's only USB 3.0, and the same for the newer two versions. This is the same kind of BS that led Microsoft to let the then-current garbage Intel iGPUs be declared as "Vista Aero ready" and the equally idiotic USB "full speed" vs "high speed" thing.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, May 31 2019 01:28 AM (Iwkd4)
I have generally disliked Firefox since it was Netscape 0.9, but I dropped Chrome last year. I think the precipitating event was the "signing in to Google forces you to sign into the browser" thing.
I still use Chrome on Android because FF's default fonts are designed for twentysomethings. (I did take FF and uBlock Origin for a spin for a few months but it was too annoying to keep using.)
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, May 31 2019 01:37 AM (Iwkd4)
Amazing how those bugs only ever hurt the competition.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, May 31 2019 01:43 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Kristophr at Friday, May 31 2019 10:06 AM (HkoJx)
58 queries taking 0.2978 seconds, 336 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.