Wednesday, July 25
- Baked Apples? There's a patch for that. (AnandTech)
The thermal throttling problem on the i9 Macbook Pro looks to only happen with certain workloads - though not specific applications - and Apple have released a patch which alleviates the problem.
Apple's statement, via Six Colors:
Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, weâ€™ve identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro. A bug fix is included in todayâ€™s macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended. We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems. Customers can expect the new 15-inch MacBook Pro to be up to 70% faster, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to be up to 2X faster, as shown in the performance results on our website.That's a fairly substantial difference.
- AMD's upcoming Zen 2 will be between 10% and 130% faster than current chips depending on stuff. (Fudzilla)
- For those of you busy building your very own C256 prototypes but finding supplies of the 6851 SID chips rather constrained, you can now emulate it using a Teensy 3.6.
Which being a 180MHz 32-bit RISC processor is likely more powerful than everything else in your C256 combined. (Hackaday)
- YouTube loading slow? Might be a case of Invented Here Syndrome.
In case this guy has you blocked too:
YouTube page load is 5x slower in Firefox and Edge than in Chrome because YouTube's Polymer redesign relies on the deprecated Shadow DOM v0 API only implemented in Chrome. You can restore YouTube's faster pre-Polymer design with this Firefox extension: https://t.co/F5uEn3iMLRâ€” Chris Peterson (@cpeterso) July 24, 2018
- It's just gone eight o'clock and time for the battery on your RAID controller to explode. I think that happened to us once. (ServeTheHome)
Picture of the Day
58 queries taking 0.2697 seconds, 336 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.