Thursday, December 06
- Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead.
- The Fallout 76 customer support application is not only worse than you imagine, it's worse than you can imagine.
Basically, anyone who opened a support ticket could see and update all the other tickets, including all private information attached.
- TSMC's 7nm capacity is not sold out for 1H19. (DigiTimes)
Reported cutbacks on mobile chip orders from Apple, Qualcomm, and HiSilicon leave them only 80-90% full. This is good news for AMD, because the one obvious thing that could derail their plans for 2019 is capacity constraints at TSMC.
- Qualcomm's new Snapdragon 855 is twice the speed of its competitors. (Fudzilla)
If you are very careful when selecting your benchmark. The CPU is an ordinary Arm Cortex A76 - by no means bad, but a standard core that anyone can license - but the DSP has been significantly upgraded.
- Microsoft has open-sourced WPF, WinForms, amd Win UI. (ZDNet)
Okay, great, but... Why?
- Innodisk has squooshed a graphics card into an M.2 slot. (AnandTech)
A niche market, but the people who need it really need it.
- The 4TB Samsung 860 EVO is now just a hair over A$1000. If I save my pennies I could ditch my 5TB external hard disk and put everything on SSD.
Clunk clunk clunk thud sploooooosh.
Or I could buy a new washing machine.
Social Media News
- Tumblr's voluntary self-immolation has one upside: It is demonstrating why laws such as FOSTA and the EU's Article 13 are unworkable. (TechDirt)
Also, it's destroying Tumblr.
Video of the Day
Two things that MS really needs to fix and Edge would be a great browser: make JS faster! Why the heck does Disqus take 15 seconds to load? The other one is, figure out why sometimes you type a URL into the address bar and the page just doesn't load. No error, you just get the title and a white page. And then for fun, sometimes the browser just stops responding to clicks and your only option is to kill it. How does that even happen with 12 hardware threads?!
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, December 07 2018 12:43 AM (Q/JG2)
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, December 07 2018 04:53 AM (Q/JG2)
In theory you could have a browser based on Blink but not on Chromium, but I suspect in practice all of the Blink browsers are actually Chromium browsers with modified UI, so while the title of the article says Blink, calling them all Chromium is probably pretty reasonable.
Posted by: Kayle at Friday, December 07 2018 12:48 PM (nux2T)
Oh, and if New Who goes away tomorrow, not to be revived for a decade or two, my vote for the best thing to come out of it is the Weeping Angels.
Posted by: Wonderduck at Friday, December 07 2018 03:05 PM (PzbzM)
M.2 SSDs can be either regular SATA or something called NVMe. SATA drives top out around 550MB/s in sequential reads; NVMe drives can do something like 6 times that.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, December 07 2018 03:46 PM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, December 07 2018 03:50 PM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Wonderduck at Saturday, December 08 2018 04:16 PM (PzbzM)
53 queries taking 0.1324 seconds, 276 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.