Tuesday, November 03
Take Off And Turn The Entire Planet Into Paper Clips Edition
- Apple has an event on the 10th where they will be inviting everyone to their new combination Arm-based Mac / Walled Garden / Roach Motel. (AnandTech)
Unless Apple surprises us, this is the end of the line for Mac as anything resembling an open platform.
- What social networks have learned since the 2016 election. (Tech Crunch)
1984 is a cookbook, apparently.
- The Ryzen 5600X is slightly slower than the 3700X on Cinebench. (WCCFTech)
Since that's comparing a 6 core Zen 3 against an 8 core Zen 2, that's a pretty respectable result.
Compared to Intel's 6 core 10600K, it's just embarrassing. 25-40% better performance at half the TDP.
- Second-tier Chinese phone makers could be looking to Samsung for their chipsets. (WCCFTech)
Huawei is out of the running for now because they've lost access to TSMC's fabs because they're filthy commies.
- How to make your Git repo unpublishable on GitHub. (Joey)
Of course, someone can still publish your code to GitHub, just not the repo.
- Benchmarking the Samsung 980 Pro. (Serve the Home)
This is their new PCIe 4.0 SSD. Despite the "pro" moniker, it is TLC flash just like the current "evo" models.
It's fast, but at $150 for 500GB it's unreasonably expensive. That's more than two 500GB WD Blue SN500 drives which you could RAID-0 for similar speed and double the capacity.
- Tech startups are complaining that Republicans took their slaves away. (WSJ)
Move out of San Francisco, you idiots.
- Undocumented colours on the Tandy Colour Computer. (Vintage is the New Old)
I remember finding these, many, many years ago. The CoCo officially had 9 colours available (not all at once) but unofficially there were several more. I found dark green and brown (shown in the article) while playing with the 6847 registers. Which is to say, poking values into addresses and seeing what would happen.
- An overpriced, underpowered desktop motherboard. (CNX Software)
It's a 1.4GHz quad core, probably a fair bit slower than a Raspberry Pi. But if you want to develop for Linux on the RISC-V architecture, it's something that exists.
Take a Ride on the Death Coaster Video of the Day
The funniest part - which I missed while watching the live stream - is that while four of the girls were dying like flies, Sora (the very first Hololive girl), was.... Well, just watch it.
Areorobonekomimiocracy* Video of the Day
* Government by robot catgirls from Mars.
Posted by: normal at Wednesday, November 04 2020 03:43 AM (LADmw)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Wednesday, November 04 2020 04:00 AM (PiXy!)
Wow, that's an outright lie, but it's not surprising from a site that still believes Russian boogeymen under the bed interfered with the 2016 election.
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 04 2020 04:44 AM (eqaFC)
God's little fish and trousers. These are the same people writing this who champion Fight for $15, riight?
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 04 2020 04:46 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: Wonderduck at Wednesday, November 04 2020 04:48 AM (vNkOW)
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 04 2020 04:49 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 04 2020 04:51 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: normal at Wednesday, November 04 2020 05:35 AM (LADmw)
So much funny there, but I fixed the last word. We wouldn't want to summon them Beetlejuice-style.
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 04 2020 06:58 AM (eqaFC)
58 queries taking 0.1779 seconds, 328 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.