Friday, January 17
Faster Better Cheaper Edition
- Finally got around to ordering my upgrade to NBN. Instead of spending 30 seconds online to select a plan and enter my payment details, it was an hour on the phone because my ISP is run by... Well, probably because they are now run by another ISP, honestly, and their respective systems do not talk to each other at all.
Also, because the system they do have was designed by people with the intelligence of eggplants, you have to have a registered business name to get a static IP.
Anyway, 100 down, 40 up, unlimited bandwidth, and I save about $50 a month over my old ADSL + phone bundle.
- AMD talks 64 cores. (Tom's Hardware)
They say that even at 64 cores 4 channel memory is usually enough, thanks in large part due to the 256MB of L3 cache.
One thing a lot of tech journalists forget is that there is a 64 core Epyc priced about the same as the 64 core Threadripper. It's only the dual-socket model that runs to $7000.
- Just in case anyone was confused, Justin Boots definitely isn't not Shane Bieber. (TechDirt)
Is that clear?
- If you're between the ages of 13 and 15, get the fuck off the internet, says Congress. (TechDirt)
This is so stupid you know it's gotta be a bipartisan effort.
- Investors are idiots. (Tech Crunch)
- Huawei's Mate X - the one that folds the other way, so the screen is on the outside and the bend isn't as sharp - also breaks under normal use. (WCCFTech)
Unless it doesn't.
- How to fix Twitter. (Bloomberg)
1. Fire everyone not in an engineering role.
- BlackVue internet-enabled dashcams turned out to double as publicly-accessible tracking devices. (Vice)
- Don't accidentally hold down the power button while you're cleaning the screen on your Mediapad M3 while waiting for a game update to install if you've forgotten the password you used and the game doesn't have an automated password reset function, particularly when the update you were installing is the biggest event of the year.
- Betelgeuse is still there.
Can't anybody there speak English?
Posted by: Rick C at Saturday, January 18 2020 12:38 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Rick C at Saturday, January 18 2020 12:40 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Rick C at Saturday, January 18 2020 12:46 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, January 18 2020 10:44 PM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.1626 seconds, 269 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.