Monday, August 02
Indoctrinate All The Things Edition
- Its propaganda efforts failing, despite having all the newspapers, all the television networks, all of social media, and all of academia on its side the US federal government is now enlisting children. (New York Times)
- Thunderbolt 5 is trinary. (AnandTech)
Rather than using just two voltage levels - 0 and 1 - it uses -1, 0, and 1, and then composes two trinary digits into three bits, with the sequence 00 being unused and treated as an error.
This isn't the first time it's been done, but the more common approach these days is what is called PAM-4, using four levels which maps easily to two bits. PCIe 6.0 - coming soon at least to the server market - uses PAM-4.
Thunderbolt 5, when it ships, will deliver speeds up to 80Gbps bidirectionally. The length and price of the cable that will support that speed is not mentioned, but you can expect it to be short and expensive.
- Google scrapped Google Reader, and that was bad. (The Ringer)
Now you don't need to read the article, which is insufferable.
- How to get admin access on any Windows machine where you have a login. (Bleeping Computer)
Yes, it's yet another print server problem.
- There are two big red things in the asteroid belt. (New York Times)
They're named 203 Pompeja and 269 Justitia, and they're not supposed to be there. Or they're supposed to be there, but they're not supposed to be that colour. One of those.
- There will be a new Mac Mini by November.... 2022. (9to5Mac)
Well, that's exciting.
I'm probably going to end up with some kind of Mac to do support for work. It won't be my main system, but when there's a Mac-related issue I need a Mac so I can fix it, or at least see it. We run into a lot of problems with Safari, but we have an entire team of UI developers so I mostly don't have to get involved.
- Paul Hansmeier, of the infamously infamous Prenda Law, will not be getting time off for good behaviour. (TorrentFreak)
Because, as it turns out, he has been continuing the schemes that earned him a 14 year prison sentence from prison.
Posted by: normal at Monday, August 02 2021 11:08 PM (LADmw)
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, August 02 2021 11:23 PM (eqaFC)
Meanwhile, it looks like Jack Ma has finally handed over enough shares and wealth to the thugs running the PRC to satisfy them for now.
Posted by: cxt217 at Tuesday, August 03 2021 09:15 AM (MuaLM)
Posted by: Rick C at Tuesday, August 03 2021 11:09 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: Rick C at Tuesday, August 03 2021 11:10 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: PatBuckman at Tuesday, August 03 2021 08:14 PM (DHVaH)
Here is my blog: Buy 3-CMC
Posted by: Stefanie at Thursday, November 16 2023 10:37 PM (7rliY)
58 queries taking 0.1988 seconds, 342 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.