Friday, July 23
Mistaken Potato And Also The Server Fell Over Again Edition
- Yeah, we're going to be moving to a new server. Three times might not be enemy action, but close enough.
- Legislation proposed by the you-know-who would suspend Section 230 protections if social networks refuse to clamp down on free speech. (Tech Crunch)
The difference between the Democrats and the Nazis is the Nazis only needed one Reichstag Fire.
- Global Foundries is doubling the capacity of its Fab 8 facility in upstate New York. (AnandTech)
And also building additional fab nearby.
Global Foundries doesn't currently have a leading-edge process node - they're still at 12nm - but with all capacity booked out worldwide it's a good time to expand.
- The One Plus Nord 2 comes with a Dimensity 1200. (AnandTech)
That's one step behind current flagship phones, at 400 Euros. I'm not sure if these models make it to the real world.
- The new Dell XPS 17 is a great system with a crappy keyboard. (Tom's Hardware)
Lot of that going around. HP gets it right.
- The Washington Post accidentally published worthwhile material today. (Motherboard)
Long-defunct ad and video site Vid.me let its domain expire and it gone snapped up by a porn network. And so broken embeds in old articles suddenly started working again - with brand new content.
- If you got hit with the Kaseya ransomware attack, you can now unlock your stuff for free. (Bleeping Computer)
Of course, you'd have been offline for three weeks by this point, which would have been awkward.
Not At All Tech News
- HoloEN defeated the Ender Dragon today. Due to equipment mixups during the battle they ended up beating it to death with random bits of equipment - a bow, used as a melee weapon, a shovel, I think, and a bucket.
But it worked.
Update: Linked to an artist's impression. Calli was indeed beating the Ender Dragon over the head with a shovel.
They did some prep work last stream, but from starting the hunt for the Stronghold to the victory photo positioned around the dragon's egg was under two hours.
Since that was the goal they'd set for themselves, they'll now be installing a mod to link their server to the JP server. Let chaos reign.
- Vtubers might look like anime girls but they're real people. Without going into details, I hope things improve soon for Iofi, Pomu, and Vyolfers, who are each going through a personal rough patch.
- Fuck off Gareth. (news.com.au)
And when you get there, fuck off from there too.
The lockdown is not working, so the solution is more lockdown.
Miscellaneous Videos of the Day
- Don't use biometric ID if you live somewhere with 4th and 5th Amendment protections.
For the rest of us, it might not matter a whole lot.
- Sounds like a 70s comedy: 18 conspirators, at least 12 of whom were FBI informants.
- He's running. And his little dog too.
HoloEN doesn't have 3D models yet, so she made her own.
- GPU prices are... A little less fucked.
Down by about 5%, which is at least movement in the right direction.
- New York, New York, it's a wonderful town. The mayor is a commie and the governor's a clown.
On the other hand, they're not confined to their own homes.
I mean, if that's what it takes to get rid of anti-GMO kooks like the Food Babe [sic], then so be it. Wait, I'm being handed a note.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, July 23 2021 11:03 PM (eqaFC)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, July 24 2021 12:23 AM (PiXy!)
And from the facts that biology is partly chemistry, and the huge number of chemicals involved in human biology, we can see that it might be pretty difficult to understand working from pure theory. And, in fact, it is difficult; not only is there more coupling between chemical concentrations than is humanly tractable, the variation between individuals means that you can't just figure out a model that applies to everyone.
Experimental understanding also has some huge issues, including again that individual variation.
So, the things that could be understood as 'misinformation' are essentially everything.
I'm not exactly clear on what you could say about health that would be immune to an accusation of misinformation.
Posted by: PatBuckman at Saturday, July 24 2021 12:34 AM (DHVaH)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, July 24 2021 12:36 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: normal at Saturday, July 24 2021 01:33 AM (LADmw)
Posted by: Rick C at Saturday, July 24 2021 01:50 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, July 24 2021 02:02 AM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.1519 seconds, 339 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.