Thursday, August 12
Department Of Redundancy Edition
- The problem with having redundant virtual servers is you don't necessarily know if they are redundant or not.... Until your cloud provider has to reboot a hardware node and your primary and secondary API servers both drop dead.
That wouldn't have been so bad except one of the nodes came back up with two copies of the core software running, with competing restart scripts fighting over the network port and overwriting each other's log files.
So downstream apps were getting random, intermittent errors depending on where the load balancer sent them and which instance was active at that moment, but there was nothing to indicate a problem in the server logs because only the instance that was working at that moment was logging anything.
- Samsung announced their new Flip and Fold. (AnandTech)
The Flip is squarish and unfolds into a rather tall but otherwise normal phone. The Fold is a normal-sized phone that unfolds into a squarish tablet.
They look quite nice and could actually be great devices if the folding screens are robust now. But not cheap - starting at $999 for the Flip and $1799 for the Fold.
- The hacker who stole $600 million from Poly Network has returned $256 million and a thank you note. (Tom's Hardware)
- Topsy-Turvy Land: The Radeon RX 6600 XT is a 160W card but only uses 75W when mining. (Tom's Hardware)
Sort of an anti-Intel.
- NSW police have arrested a man for saying mean things on the internet. (ZDNet)
Time to riot!
He allegedly threatened to harm police horses.
Riot cancelled. Throw the fucker into the volcano along with all the politicians.
- Three US senators have introduced a bill that would curtail the anti-competitive practices of of Apple and Google's app stores. (Reuters)
Which I'm all for, but with Richard Blumenthal and Amy Klobuchar attached to it, this legislation has gotta suck somehow.
- Stardock has announced Start11. (The Verge)
To the surprise of nobody. But it's welcome all the same.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, August 13 2021 12:34 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: normal at Friday, August 13 2021 01:32 AM (LADmw)
Posted by: PatBuckman at Friday, August 13 2021 04:05 AM (DHVaH)
Posted by: Grumpy and Recalcitrant at Friday, August 13 2021 09:46 AM (zuQbY)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, August 13 2021 10:01 AM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.1295 seconds, 337 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.