Sunday, November 08
Reasons Part Three Edition
- Got Object Desktop renewed so I could install Multiplicity everywhere (slightly tricky because when you renew it issues it to the original email, not the email you enter - and doesn't mention that anywhere), got Multiplicity installed, updated Rally Vincent to Windows 2010 or whatever they're calling this latest release, updated VirtualBox because the latest Windows 10 breaks VirtualBox 5, found that somewhere along the line my GitLab server had gotten hosed, patched it up long enough to copy everything over to a brand new Ubuntu 20.10 instance running ZFS - which works very nicely - and am currently digging into MariaDB temporal tables as originally planned.
Some testing has shown at least that there's no longer any reason to avoid InnoDB so long as you are using ZFS. The tables are much bigger than TokuDB, but about as fast, and ZFS LZ4 compression brings the size down to within about 20% of TokuDB.
And rather importantly, it's unlikely to be suddenly abandoned and force me to convert all my tables.
- I was thinking Tohru - the older of my two Dell all-in-ones - might have had a hardware issue because the fan noise is noticeably louder than it used to be. So I installed Multiplicity and now I'm running both Tohru and Rally rather than Rally being mostly dormant as just serving as a monitor.
And now they're making exactly the same amount of fan noise.
I guess it's just the number of apps and browser tabs and virtual machines I have running all the time. And ever-increasing Windows bloat.
- Got locked out of Twitter today for posting a link discussing the application of Benford's Law to election results. As did quite a few other people. (Instapundit)
No warning, no explanation, just "You broke one of the seven million rules and must be punished."
Apparently the reason is that the site that hosted that link also reported on the contents of Hunter Biden's laptop. Twitter doesn't care - and doesn't tell you. You're just kicked off the platform.
- And if you're locked out of Twitter, you also can't use Twitter OAuth to log into other platforms, like Disqus. So the censorious fuckheads have killed that as well.
- In ENTIRELY UNRELATED NEWS Parler is the top free app on the App Store right now.
How do you embed one of those things? Can you embed one of those things? I'll look into that. Also the same for mee.ms, of course.
- Uber, fresh from a victory over AB5, vows to take on similar laws worldwide. (Tech Crunch)
What, I have to like Uber now?
Also, the voting map for Prop 22 looks exactly as you would expect. California may be a standard deviation to the left of the US average, but it still has a group two standard deviations to the left of that, trying to control everything.
- ZeroSSL does everything that LetsEncrypt does but seems to be a little more flexible. (ZeroSSL)
95% of the websites at my day job went down for fifteen minutes last week after an issue with LetsEncrypt rate limits cascade-crashed our proxy servers. Not blaming anyone; the latest version of the software fixes this but I haven't had time to update.
- The most popular thumbnail in the world.
Kiara and Calli had a Minecraft stream planned, but it's a weekend for technical issues and it all fell over. 15,000 people in chat giving them money anyway.
Rescheduled for tomorrow now.
- Which is something of a relief because I would have had to tear myself away for Coco's Minecraft stream which starts in twenty minutes. Just after she finished her earlier Terraria stream.
Posted by: StargazerA5 at Monday, November 09 2020 01:46 AM (1ZQzH)
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, November 09 2020 07:17 AM (eqaFC)
I never, ever use a Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc., login for any other site for exactly this reason.
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, November 09 2020 07:20 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, November 09 2020 07:23 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: kwan3217 at Monday, November 09 2020 07:57 AM (Api9H)
Although the totalitarians have done things like try to sever Gab from Mastodon by refusing to connect to it.
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, November 09 2020 09:02 AM (eqaFC)
And I'm setting things up so that the service doesn't depend on any big tech company for anything.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Monday, November 09 2020 09:12 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: The Brickmuppet at Monday, November 09 2020 09:51 AM (5iiQK)
Instead, try using https://archive.is/yL95q, which FB, at least, will not block.
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, November 09 2020 10:02 AM (eqaFC)
58 queries taking 0.2381 seconds, 326 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.