Wednesday, May 27
Oops I Deleted It Again Edition
- It's just a flesh wound.
Gotta love a bug report that includes the words "do not under any circumstances" in bold all-caps.
- Arm has two new cores: The A78 and the X1. (AnandTech)
The A78 is the regularly scheduled update with IPC and clock speed improvements, balancing performance against power consumption.
The X1 is a new core designed for burst performance in phones like Apple's in-house Arm designs. It's a five-issue design up from four-issue on recent A7x cores - compared with six-issue on Apple's recent cores. It delivers a 30% IPC boost over A77, and a doubling of floating-point performance.
And that brings a licensable core into Intel and AMD territory. Apple's Arm cores might be there already - the estimate is that A13 is 10% ahead of X1 - but you can't get them so no-one knows for sure.
- A friendly if overly loquacious guide to the Lakes District. (Tom's Hardware)
Intel hypothesises as to why people use their codenames. Well, it's because their branding is fucking meaningless. What the hell is "10th generation"? They're not even all the same core.
- A wild bunch of cheap Ryzen laptops from Xiaomi appeared. (Tom's Hardware)
A choice of 6 or 8 cores, 8GB or 16GB RAM, 512GB or 1TB SSD, and a 13", 14", or 16" 1080p display. Prices range from $532 to $700, and weights from 1.2kg to 1.8kg. Curiously, the 14" model is the lightest.
The 16" model has dedicated PgUp/PgDn/Home/End keys, but the 13" model doesn't appear to. I couldn't find a keyboard photo of the 14", but the existing Intel version doesn't have them so that's not looking great either.
All models will go on sale starting June 1. In China, and on the usual sites.
- Someone just noticed that Adam Schiff is a dirty cop. (TechDirt)
Wake up and smell the coffee, guys.
- All is not well in wolf-kink erotica fanfic land. (TechDirt)
Still nothing compared with knitting forums.
- Twitter: We hire only the most qualified zombies.
Never send to ask how Twitter became such a hellsite. This is all down to Jack. Who is an idiot.
- Ryzen 3000 XT might only be a 100MHz boost.
As commenters are saying, that's not much. Presumably it will replace existing models at the same price.
- Twitter themselves fact-checked a pair of Trump tweets. (Tech Crunch)
Naturally, our timeline being what it is since the space lobsters ate Earth 2 and we had to wipe everyone's memories and reboot here on Earth 3, Trump was right and the fact-checking was a lie.
- SD 8.0 ups transfer speeds to 4GB/s unless it doesn't (WCCFTech) except in this case it definitely does. (SDCard)
A PCIe 4.0 x2 interface to be specific.
- What all those AWS services do. (A Day in the Life Of...)
Not always super-detailed:
Amazon Braket Some quantum thing. Itâ€™s in preview so I have no idea what it is.
- Catalina phone home. (Sigpipe)
In fact, Catalina phone home an awful lot. Catalina apparently phone home on every new shell script.
- The CDC is warning of increasingly aggressive rodents looking for new food sources. (Seattle Times)
Or as we call them here, journalists.
Now I just have to set everything up.
Posted by: Jay at Thursday, May 28 2020 01:29 AM (0jVI9)
Posted by: J Greely at Thursday, May 28 2020 01:34 AM (ZlYZd)
Do they charge more than the person at the bank? Because I can get documents notarized for free.
Posted by: Rick C at Thursday, May 28 2020 07:02 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Will at Thursday, May 28 2020 07:38 AM (uI1wi)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Thursday, May 28 2020 08:21 AM (PiXy!)
The link is dead.
Posted by: Mauser at Thursday, May 28 2020 12:26 PM (Ix1l6)
58 queries taking 0.193 seconds, 331 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.