Saturday, January 25
Wombats Ahoy Edition
- YouTube never ceases to find new ways to not fail to disappoint.
Google is the world leader in applying AI to complex cognitive tasks. Looks like everyone's job is safe for a while yet.
- Cyrus Vance is a great name for a Manhattan District Attorney. You could just see Raymond Chandler using that name. Unfortunately he's an idiot. (TechDirt)
- Google claims that their recent changes to their search results were just them trying to make everything better and the fact that it made natural results indistinguishable from ads was entirely unintentional and they will immediately experiment with minor adjustments that will make things even more annoying. (Tech Crunch)
- Update to Windows 10 with a probably illegitimate and possibly stolen key for just $9.95 or on second thought don't do that. (WCCFTech)
Because your existing Windows 7 key should work to activate Windows 10.
- Quora is laying of an indeterminate number of staff. (Tech Crunch)
I don't like to see people lose their jobs, but Quora's site is awful and their users are idiots.
- One crazy man's look at the Samsung Galaxy Fold. (Ars Technica)
It's not so much a review as an extended episode of Fold-induced epilepsy. Suffice to say they didn't like it.
- China is having a hard time tackling the Wuhan Bat Soup Death Plague because the country is run by lunatics. (Quartz)
You can't solve a problem if everyone involved is too scared to provide accurate reports.
But wear pyjamas and they're right on that.
- Oh, almost forgot this one. The GTX 2060 KO that EVGA just released to tackle the Radeon 5600 XT is, internally, actually an RTX 2080.
But it's an RTX 2080 that has been seriously throttled and can't be unthrottled, so it's no better than a regular RTX 2060 for games. But if you're using it for compute tasks like 3D rendering in Blender it can be nearly 50% faster than a regular RTX 2060.
Neither Nvidia nor EVGA told anyone about this. Steve from Gamers Nexus discovered it when he looked under the heatsink.
Posted by: Rick C at Sunday, January 26 2020 06:34 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: StargazerA5 at Sunday, January 26 2020 10:59 AM (bLfy6)
(Just got my Samsung EVO SSD, and I'm trying to figure out how to migrate without losing every setting. But an upgrade looms in the future.)
Posted by: Mauser at Sunday, January 26 2020 04:19 PM (Ix1l6)
Posted by: Mauser at Sunday, January 26 2020 04:21 PM (Ix1l6)
Technically they were supposedly going to stop letting you do that a couple years ago but apparently never did.
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, January 27 2020 04:55 AM (Iwkd4)
I also need to figure out how to switch between my two bootable drives without having to unplug every time. I've got the SSD running (the clone of the 2 TB I did a clean install on worked the first time). I need to copy all the data from my 3TB WD Red boot drive, but I've run into the issue before of ownership - both drives have accounts by the same name, but they have some different underlying ID. Then there's the matter of re-installing things (I don't even HAVE a uTorrent Installer any more) and transferring browser user profiles and other settings....
I miss MacOS 8.6 at least in this regard.... It was so simple for a single user system. And you could install anything by hand.
Posted by: Mauser at Monday, January 27 2020 11:34 AM (Ix1l6)
Eventually you'll get asked which edition you want.
Posted by: Rick C at Monday, January 27 2020 12:41 PM (Iwkd4)
58 queries taking 0.1409 seconds, 272 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.