Saturday, March 21
Down And Out In The Magic Kingdom Edition
- Twitter suspended Cory Doctorow for being Cory Doctorow. (TechDirt)
Good call for once, Twitter.
- Google has cancelled their I/O conference which hasn't been interesting since 2013. (Tech Crunch)
I thought it had already been cancelled.
- Free plague candy! (WCCFTech)
I mean games, yes totally games and not candy that will give you the plague.
GOG has 27 free games. Okay, they're either old titles or minor titles, but they're free.
Steam has... Oh. Steam has demos. Fuck Steam.
- Build a complete 8-bit computer with just five chips. (IEEE Spectrum)
An Atmel ATmega1284, a USB interface, and four 7400-family ICs. (Yes, I know.)
The 1284 has 128KB of flash and 16KB RAM, which is enough for a basic 8-bit computer - and it is actually an 8-bit CPU. It runs at 20MHz with single-cycle execution, though, so it blows any actual 8-bit computer of the era out of the water. Well, with this design 75% of the CPU time is spent generating the video output, and it runs at 14MHz, but even so.
It runs Forth, which unless the implementation is absolutely terrible will run rings around interpreted Basic.
- The problem with Active Records. (Cal Paterson)
And also with REST.
When I was a little boy programmer my day job was spent working with what is now called the "Active Record pattern" except that this was a long time ago and it actually worked properly.
- We're getting one of those shiny Threadripper servers at my day job. That will at least give me the chance to try it out and see what it can do before I plunk my own money down. PassMark says it's three times as fast as our biggest current server on multi-threaded tasks, and about 60% faster single-threaded than our fasted server for that.
If it works out well we plan to add a bunch more and move stuff out of our expensive cloud servers.
Posted by: The Brickmuppet at Sunday, March 22 2020 04:20 AM (5iiQK)
Posted by: The Brickmuppet at Sunday, March 22 2020 04:29 AM (5iiQK)
Posted by: J Greely at Sunday, March 22 2020 07:02 AM (ZlYZd)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Sunday, March 22 2020 03:42 PM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.1734 seconds, 329 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.