Tuesday, December 01
Fifty Shades Of Blue Edition
- I have two servers named Aoi again. Oops.
- AMD expects AMD graphics cards to be selling at MSRP at some point. Probably. (Tom's Hardware)
Probably next year though.
- Amazon AWS has virtual Macs. (Amazon)
Or rather, they offer physical Macs that you can rent by the hour.
Could be very useful for developers trying to ship both x86 and Arm versions of their apps. Because you wouldn't want to buy one.
- I don't want an iPhone but on the other hand would it kill Android device makers to produce a mid-range phone with a sub-6" screen? (AnandTech)
- Just recently officials cancelled planned renovations to the Arecibo radio telescope after a second cable snapped, leading engineers to conclude it was in danger of collapse and could not be safely repaired.
Sadly, they were right.
Thankfully because they were right, no-one was hurt.
- Nvidia just launched the RTX 3060 Ti, which is 80% of a 3070 for 80% of the price. But it includes the full 8GB of RAM, so that's a pretty good deal.
If you can get one, which seems unlikely since it's the same chip as the 3070.
I'm seeing a LOT of reeeing about how awesome the M1 is and how it's going to eat Intel's lunch etc., etc. I don't have a particular love for x86 so I'd be OK with a swap to a different, more efficient architecture, but I'm just not interested in running MacOS so it doesn't matter to me how fast the M1 is. Wake me up when I can get a Windows (or Linux) machine with an Arm CPU that's as fast as an 3600X. (Although I still wouldn't use it, actually, until more software gets ported or the emulation approaches native performance. Progress doesn't run on ARM as far as I know, let alone a bunch of my games.)
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, December 02 2020 12:25 AM (eqaFC)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Wednesday, December 02 2020 12:40 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: normal at Wednesday, December 02 2020 03:53 AM (LADmw)
(fun fact: in ancient times, the primary developers of tcsh and cshe both sat within 30 feet of me; they were only a tiny bit disappointed if you chose the wrong one for your shell)
Posted by: J Greely at Wednesday, December 02 2020 04:32 AM (ZlYZd)
58 queries taking 0.1367 seconds, 337 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.