Tuesday, November 27
- The InSight Mars lander has landed. On Mars. (Tech Crunch)
I didn't notice that before. I thought it was just called Insight, which is a perfectly nice name for a Mars mission. InSight? Seriously, NaSa?
- The Drobo 8D is a nice storage array that costs too much. (PC Perspective)
- Error displaying the error page (Fudzilla)
Don't I know it.
Do not use Linux software RAID with ASRock motherboards with UEFI BIOS until further notice. They have a feature which will helpfully "repair" your partition table.
- Open Source is Not About You
As a user of something open source you are not thereby entitled to anything at all. You are not entitled to contribute. You are not entitled to features. You are not entitled to the attention of others. You are not entitled to having value attached to your complaints. You are not entitled to this explanation.It's true. All of it.
- Friends don't let friends use Node.js. (Bleeping Computer)
flatmap-stream contained three lines of functioning code.
That should have thrown up all sorts of warning signs, but that sort of behaviour is universal in Node.js. Node apps routinely pull in crap from everywhere, up to and including parallel dimensions and entirely imaginary worlds.
This sometimes happens in real programming languages, but even then, at the end of the day, you have a real programming language.
- Intel has 8 core Xeon E engineering samples. (AnandTech)
This is a huge surprise given that they are exactly the same as their 8 core desktop chips.
Social Media News
- Europe's awful GDPR could wreck the targeted internet advertising industry. (Tech Dirt)
Okay, not really seeing the downside here.
- Something I'd missed in the recent musings over potential antitrust actions against the insufferably oleaginous tech giants: it's already happening. Apple is in front of the Supreme Court this week over their monopolisation of iOS app sales. (9to5Mac)
- IBM CEO Gina Rometty says the government should regulate the internet to fuck over smaller competitors. (Axios)
Because of course she does.
Video of the Day
How dare you suggest pulling in a library named is-even, which consists solely of pulling in a library named is-odd and inverting the output, plus 73 other 3-line libraries, is a dumb idea?
(This is a real examplehttps://github.com/jonschlinkert/is-even/blob/master/index.js.)
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 28 2018 06:28 AM (Q/JG2)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Wednesday, November 28 2018 03:57 PM (PiXy!)
I keep thinking about moving from the Progress world, because of the shrinking market, and then I get reminded of this insanity.
Remember Ted Dziuba's infamous "Node.js is cancer" article?
Posted by: Rick C at Thursday, November 29 2018 12:42 AM (Q/JG2)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Thursday, November 29 2018 02:22 PM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.1906 seconds, 269 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.