Saturday, June 16
Winter edition. I'm sure people who live in stupid places will insist Sydney doesn't have a winter, but pfft to them.
- Huawei's P20 and P20 Pro seem to be good modern smartphones. They use Huawei's own Kirin 970, which is not quite the latest hardware compared to Qualcomm and Apple, but couple it with 4GB or 6GB of LPDDR4X. Two unfortunate design features - the dreaded notch and the lamented absent headphone socket - but you can turn off the notch if you like.
LPDDR4X is very interesting, a lower-power and faster version of LPDDR4 with speeds up to 4266MHz. I'd love to see it attached to AMD's next-gen Ryzen APU, which will have its performance constrained by bandwidth more than by core and shader count.
- The New York senate is full of idiots.
- GitLab now includes an IDE. No, I don't know why either.
- Apple has forgotten it's a computer company and people are starting to notice.
- Crystal 0.25 is out.
- Crystal 0.25.0 15 Jun 2018
- Redis 5.0-rc3 14 Jun 2018
- Elasticsearch 6.3 13 Jun 2018 (initial SQL query support)
- RabbitMQ 3.7.6 13 Jun 2018
- MongoDB 4.0-rc5 12 Jun 2018
- Python 3.7rc1 12 Jun 2018
- GitLab 10.8.4 07 Jun 2018
- Django 2.0.6 01 Jun 2018
- Ruby 2.6.0-preview2 31 May 2018
- PostgreSQL 11 beta 1 24 May 2018
- Caddy 0.11 10 May 2018
- RabbitMQ 3.7.5 09 May 2018
- PyPy 6.0 26 Apr 2018
- MySQL 8.0.11 19 Apr 2018
- Rails 5.2.0 09 Apr 2018
That reminds me of something I think I saw on Twitchy yesterday, where some loon of an SJW was tweeting "reported for [mentioning me] without prior consent," as if that was some kind of TOS violation or crime.
Posted by: Rick C at Saturday, June 16 2018 01:50 PM (ITnFO)
Also, I would make the (rather obvious) suggestion that they are not, in fact, a computer company any longer, but a cell phone and tablet company. Their own "what's a computer" ad would even seem to agree.
Posted by: Rick C at Saturday, June 16 2018 01:52 PM (ITnFO)
Apple is rapidly becoming a fashion accessory company. With a bit of technology mixed in. Everything is about the brand.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, June 16 2018 02:39 PM (PiXy!)
As for Apple, if someone figures out how to get a Lenovo P52 to boot MacOS, they may never sell another MacBook Pro...
Posted by: J Greely at Saturday, June 16 2018 02:57 PM (tgyIO)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, June 16 2018 03:38 PM (PiXy!)
I was going to take a look at Deveo, but that's now Perforce's (incomplete) replacement for their integrated version of GitLab.
Posted by: J Greely at Sunday, June 17 2018 07:44 AM (tgyIO)
58 queries taking 0.1285 seconds, 339 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.