Friday, September 23
Two To Four Feral Hogs Edition
- Nvidia's new graphics cards are two to four times faster than the previous generation - if you are using ray tracing and upscaling. (PC Magazine)
If you're not using ray tracing and upscaling, they're not.
Except somehow in the case of Microsoft Flight Simulator, where they are - and somehow the RTX 4080 is the same speed as the much more expensive RTX 4090.
- Nvidia also explained why the new cards are so much more expensive than the previous generation: Because. (PC Magazine)
- And to gamers who are saying that the 4080 is really just a renamed 4070 to justify the high pricing, Nvidia had this response: Nuh-uh. (PC Magazine)
Nvidia is handing a golden opportunity to AMD and Intel here. Intel simply isn't in a position to take advantage of it, but AMD might be.
We'll see what they have up their sleeves on November 3.
- Does green hydrogen cause brain damage? (Robert Zubrin)
A great takedown on just how stupid the green hydrogen idea is from an actual rocket scientist.
- Google is working on royalty-free high-end digital audio and video software to replace Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. (Protocol)
Not because they want to benefit anyone, but because it's cheaper for them.
Which is a far more trustworthy motivation.
- China has claimed without evidence that at least one US government agency is actually doing its job. (CNBC)
In this case they allege that the NSA hacked China's telecommunications networks, which is kind of the point, so probably isn't true.
- Another thing Nvidia announced during its big launch event is the Jetson Orin Nano. (Serve the Home)
This is a robotics module with a six core Arm A78 CPU, up to 1024 GPU shaders, and a peak AI throughput of 40 trillion operations per second. It's not quite the same as a Raspberry Pi because it's a module that needs to plug in to a carrier board; you can't use it directly by itself. But it is a lot more powerful than the Raspberry Pi.
Prices start as $199.
- Krea.ai is a directly of AI-generated art and the text prompts used to generate it. (Krea.ai)
A lot of it is awful because that's just the nature of AI-generated art - you have to fiddle with things a lot to get something good.This haunted playground is suitably and subtly creepy though.
I am persuaded that 5G is probably not good.
Posted by: Pat Buckman at Saturday, September 24 2022 01:30 AM (r9O5h)
I figure the PRC is desperate, producing propaganda for domestic consumption, and projecting.A little of each. A lot of each, really.
And, of course, the NSA might well have penetrated China's communications networks, assuming there are still some competent people working there.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, September 24 2022 04:55 AM (PiXy!)
What this mainly boils down to is "prefer AIO cooling for your video card, especially if it's fatter than 2 slots" and "even then it doesn't have the greatest thermals, but it won't get obnoxiously hot."
Impressive Quality: Hyte Y60 Case Review & Benchmarks vs. O11 Dynamic - YouTube
Posted by: Rick C at Saturday, September 24 2022 05:03 AM (BMUHC)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, September 24 2022 05:05 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Saturday, September 24 2022 05:39 AM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.2643 seconds, 328 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.