Wednesday, May 25
Sometimes We Can Have Nice Things Edition
- Seth Green - Oz from Buffy and Dr Evil's son Scott from the Austin Powers movies - had plans for a TV series based on an NFT.
Then it got stolen.
Since he no longer owns the ugly monkey jpeg in question he also loses film rights and the project is toast.
Sometimes things do work out for the best.
- Nvidia had it's own big Computex announcement the day after AMD. If you want a server-only GPU that uses 600W and costs tens of thousands of dollars and can't actually output video, they're all over that.
Not particularly interesting for you or me, but it does make them a lot of money.
- Asus announced a new 500Hz gaming monitor. (AnandTech)
- Asus also announced their high-end AM5 motherboard for the upcoming Ryzen 7000 series. (AnandTech)
The ROG Crosshair X670E supports two full-length PCIe 5.0 slots, plus a x4 slot running at a lower speed but I don't know what, and 5 M.2 slots two of which are also PCIe 5. Plus USB 4. Which when you add it all up requires more PCIe lanes than the CPU has available. Not sure what they've done there.
- Spain is investing $13 billion to upgrade the country's semiconductor industry. (AP News)
I was looking around what countries had semiconductor factories and I believe Spain was on the list - they're not starting from zero. And there are worse ways to spend $13 billion, as our governments prove to use every day.
I do not expect much to come of this nonetheless.
Posted by: normal at Wednesday, May 25 2022 09:00 PM (obo9H)
Posted by: J Greely at Wednesday, May 25 2022 11:05 PM (oJgNG)
The rumor is "two chipset dies" which would give you a lot of extra lanes (still all potentially bottlenecked through the CPU link, however wide that is, of course.)
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, May 25 2022 11:34 PM (BMUHC)
Also, the CPU is PCIe 5 but the chipset is PCIe 4, so AMD could bring out a higher-end chipset with double the upstream bandwidth if they want. Or motherboard makers could use a PCIe bridge chip; there's a ton of bandwidth available, just not a lot of dedicated lanes.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, May 27 2022 02:21 AM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.2504 seconds, 310 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.