Thursday, May 09
Trucking Terabytes Edition
- Specs for AMD's upcoming 16 core Ryzen CPUs may or may not have leaked. (Tom's Hardware)
At 3.3GHz base clock and 4.2GHz boost, the numbers are believable, since that's 200MHz slower than existing AMD 16 core Threadrippers.
- Intel plans to launch 7nm parts in 2021. (Tom's Hardware)
Just in time for my NBN connection.
- CBS is self-censoring to avoid upsetting communists. (TechDirt)
- In other good news, the London Panopticon gets facial recognition wrong 96% of the time. (TechDirt)
- YouTube's ContentID is still a dumpster fire. (TechDirt)
- Samsung announced the announcement of the announcement of the Galaxy Fold. (Tech Crunch)
We are not making this up.
The new version of the Fold reportedly includes a sticker advising journalists not to peel the entire damn screen off their review devices.
- Intel's 10 core Comet Lake-S are reportedly LGA 1151, but not the LGA 1151 we know. (WCCFTech)
They will require new motherboards, and forward and backward compatibility will be nil. Unless it's not.
- Popular database construction kit PostgreSQL releases 11.3, 10.8, 9.6.13, 9.5.17, and 9.4.22.
This looks like mostly a bugfix release.
- Customer support? Never heard of it.
Time to cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of law.
- Samsung has announced 48MP and 64MP camera sensors. (PocketNow)
The sensors have 0.8μm pixels. That is just barely larger than the wavelength of red light, which ends at around 0.75μm. I wonder how much of an issue that is.
- A team at UC Berkeley has designed a hardware garbage collector, or at least a garbage collector accelerator. (IEEE Spectrum)
This could help make languages like Crystal competitive with less friendly languages like C. It's not like CPU designers don't have the spare transistors.
- ChromeOS can now officially run Linux containers. (ZDNet)
I mean, ChromeOS is Linux, so this is no great surprise, but it's official and supported now. It includes (or soon will) a Debian distro by default.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, May 10 2019 04:26 AM (Iwkd4)
Ugh, and it was extremely fake and lame the first time they did it, too.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, May 10 2019 04:27 AM (Iwkd4)
If it don't got 1151 pins, it ain't 1151v3.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, May 10 2019 04:33 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, May 10 2019 03:34 PM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Kayle at Friday, May 10 2019 04:11 PM (magRz)
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, May 10 2019 10:55 PM (Iwkd4)
58 queries taking 0.1646 seconds, 295 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.