Wednesday, July 04
- Sapphire has a new Ryzen V embedded board similar to the Udoo Bolt mentioned earlier. This is more for established embedded apps than tinkering - no Arduino on board, but four DisplayPort connectors for multi-screen applications.
- My keyboard arrived! No sign of the computer itself as yet. Rally Vincent is currently leading in the poll, which is better than Computey Computeface. Never let the audience make the nominations.
Still no NBN, which was promised by June 29.
- Tom's Hardware notes a 4K 49" TV selling for $219 after rebate. I don't know if it's any good, but it's fascinating that this makes it cheaper than a 1080p 43" monitor from the same manufacturer.
4K has taken over, and I wonder how long the move to 8K will take. Not that I need an 8K monitor, but I'd love an ultrawide 7680x2160 (half of 8K) monitor to replace dual 4K monitors without the gap in between.
- Cloudflare's Workers are 441% faster than Amazon's.
- Cory Doctorow belatedly realises that free speech goes both ways and is predictably outraged.
Photo of the Day
Cory Doctorow belatedly realises that free speech goes two ways and is predictably outraged..
Well...he's predictably outraged at least.
I read the article and don't see anything to indicate he appreciates...
OH! I see. Not the appreciation of it's necessity, but the REALIZATION that it's happening has him outraged.
So I guess he's going to keep on disemvoweling like an Aztec proofreader.
Posted by: The Brickmuppet at Wednesday, July 04 2018 12:35 PM (3bBAK)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Wednesday, July 04 2018 01:21 PM (PiXy!)
Ok, a quick aside: Chrome with adblock + ghostery. When I try to do HTML by hand like above--I type in the open tag, then paste, and then I have to remember to hit the right arrow before typing the close tag, because hitting C-V leaves the pasted text highlighted.
Is that Chrome, my ad blockers, or the editor? End aside.
Yay Dell and their shippers!
Last month I came in to work after a day off, and found a FedEx "we missed you" on the door. There was only one person in the office the day before and he insists he didn't hear the knock. They delivered my monitors to a random other office. I went up there, started to ask the secretary if she'd received my package, and then noticed them sitting right there in their lobby. Glad nobody absconded with them! The desktop arrived that day.
Then I ordered a new laptop+monitor for a coworker. The monitor appeared Friday. No laptop yet, which is unusual.
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, July 04 2018 03:05 PM (ITnFO)
Given that it's last year's model and at a big discount I can't really complain that they don't have local stock. I would have been more upset if they ran out of local stock and I couldn't get it.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Wednesday, July 04 2018 03:36 PM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Rick C at Sunday, July 08 2018 06:58 AM (ITnFO)
Also, I just wanted to check if you saw my mention above about weird behavior pasting in the editor--I kind of buried it in the middle of my comment, which was not the best way to get it noticed.
Posted by: Rick C at Sunday, July 08 2018 06:59 AM (ITnFO)
But the blank comment thing shouldn't happen, at least. It's supposed to say "Please type something first" or something along those lines.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Sunday, July 08 2018 11:04 AM (PiXy!)
54 queries taking 0.1988 seconds, 284 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.