Thursday, April 25
ANZAC Day Dawn Moving Van Edition
- Intel's 2020 and 2021 client CPU roadmap seems to have leaked. (Tom's Hardware)
This includes Comet Lake (the rumoured up to 10 core desktop CPU), Rocket Lake (a mainstream CPU with integrated graphics), Tiger Lake (a low powered 4 core part built on 10 nm), Amber Lake (an ultra low power part for tablets), and Comet Lake and Rocket Lake Xeons.
Rocket Lake is supposedly due in Q1 2021 and will include PCIe 4.0, something that AMD will be providing this year, and will be supporting on existing motherboards.
If this roadmap is real and AMD does launch a 16 core mainstream CPU this year, it will be three years before Intel has a counter to it.
- Mercedes has filed for declaratory relief against lawsuits by graffitists whose "work" is visible in car ads. (TechDirt)
Read Permanence by Karl Schroeder to see where we end up if this isn't slapped down.
- The director of the US Patent Office is either an idiot or a troll of the first order. (TechDirt)
- Microsoft's Azure revenue grew by 73% in the past quarter. (Tech Crunch)
Azure revenues are close to $40 billion a year now. No, I don't know why either.
- This web page is a useless pile of crap. (Internet Health Report)
Someone needs to poke Web Pages That Suck. Their country needs them.
- Facebook expects to be fined up to $5 billion by the FTC. (The New York Times)
Well, it's a start.
- SushiChain is a blockchain implemented in Crystal.
It looks interesting and may have some smart features but the documentation is... Well, mostly, it isn't.
Relevant Observation of the Day
Just finished Chunibyo. Well, both TV series, both OVAs, a couple of the little specials, and the second movie. The second TV series is a little wobbly precisely because the first series ended strongly, but the second movie puts everything back together.
The first movie is a retelling of the first TV series, so I've skipped that one for now. Watch it in that order: TV 1, OVA 1, TV 2, OVA 2, movie 2. All the little specials aside from the two full-length OVAs are optional.
I'm starting to run low on things to watch, having recently burned through:
Currently moving on to Danmachi and Non Non Biyori, which will hit the bottom of my unwatched pile. Then I'll need to move on to the partly watched stuff, both old (Zettai Karen Children) and new (Made in Abyss).
If it's real, I would kind of expect it to get revised really fast if Ryzen 3000 has more than 8 cores. This seems a lot like how Ryzen caught them flat-footed, but they managed to ramp up 6- and 8-core desktop processors pretty fast. (There has been speculation that they managed to come out with them so fast because they'd been designed already but Intel didn't bother to release them as long as there was no real competition. I have no way to even guess if that could be true.)
Intel using chiplets so soon after deriding Epyc/Threadripper as "glued-together parts" is pretty funny, too.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, April 26 2019 12:38 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, April 26 2019 01:21 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Pete Zaitcev at Friday, April 26 2019 02:58 AM (LZ7Bg)
BTW, check out what one of my friends is up to, a couple of days ago:
Posted by: Pete Zaitcev at Friday, April 26 2019 03:02 AM (LZ7Bg)
Posted by: StargazerA5 at Friday, April 26 2019 04:52 AM (jl9eJ)
I hope Microsoft keeps working on WSL. It's getting to the point where it's almost good enough and I don't need to run VirtualBox any more.
I'm just running into trouble with LMDB, which understands Windows memory mapped files and Linux memory mapped files, but WSL memory mapped files are halfway between and make the database crash.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, April 26 2019 10:09 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, April 26 2019 10:12 AM (Iwkd4)
Posted by: Mauser at Friday, April 26 2019 12:17 PM (Ix1l6)
My Roommate is a Cat, Hinamatsuri, Iroduku, Bunny Girl Senpai, Sakura Quest, and Chunibyo - All surprisingly good and recommended. (You need to watch at least two episodes of Chunibyo before you get any notion of what it's about.)
Golden Time - Train wreck. Awesome production values but the plot is a pineapple and mayonnaise sandwich on pumpernickel.
Dirty Pair - Dirty Pair.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, April 26 2019 01:35 PM (PiXy!)
Sakurada Reset might have an interesting story but it had zero budget, possibly the direct opposite of Golden Time.
Dagashi Kashi is just plain annoying.
Clockwork Planet - meh.
The others I've already forgotten. There was one with a girl who eats books. Not good.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, April 26 2019 01:40 PM (PiXy!)
Posted by: The Brickmuppet at Saturday, April 27 2019 02:17 AM (xOgT9)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (if you haven't tried it already) Gakkou Gurashi! (School-Live!) (beware spoilers) Yuki Yuuna wa Yuusha (Yuki Yuuna is a Hero) To the New World Flip Flappers Kiniro Mosaic Hibike! Euphonium Flying Witch Little Witch Academia Boku no Hero Academia A Place Further Than the Universe Mob Psycho 100 Time Travel Girl
Posted by: muon at Wednesday, May 15 2019 05:45 PM (vMYTH)
Posted by: muon at Wednesday, May 15 2019 05:57 PM (vMYTH)
I've licensed a new editor but haven't had time to install it yet.
Just running through your list:
* Puella Magi Madoka Magica - haven't actually watched it, probably about time I did
* Gakkou Gurashi! (School-Live!) - tried it, not for me due to (spoilers)
* Yuki Yuuna wa Yuusha (Yuki Yuuna is a Hero) - will try, kept seeing it on Netflix but didn't get around to it
* To the New World - never heard of that one, will look it up
* Flip Flappers - not for me
* Kiniro Mosaic - have seen a couple of episodes, liked it but it didn't grab me right away
* Hibike! Euphonium - been meaning to watch this one
* Flying Witch - love this one
* Little Witch Academia - BEST ANIME EVER
* Boku no Hero Academia - loved season one, felt let down by season two by comparison
* A Place Further Than the Universe - loved it
* Mob Psycho 100 - haven't seen it, will give it a try
* Time Travel Girl - like it a lot so far (about eight episodes in), should get around to finishing it
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Wednesday, May 15 2019 07:54 PM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Rick C at Thursday, May 16 2019 12:39 AM (Iwkd4)
58 queries taking 0.1714 seconds, 304 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.