Thursday, February 18
- Facebook has blocked all news into, out of, from, for, by, or about Australia. (ABC)
Including articles posted by the news organisations themselves, government weather reports, and emergency services.
I'm not exaggerating. Here's their own blog post.
If you're pretending to take a principled stand, try not to cut off emergency services during an emergency.
- Google meanwhile has struck a deal with News Corp. (Protocol)
That's only one of the big Australian news organisations, and though it has global reach its market share within Australia is not particularly large.
- The HP Spectre x360 14 is a flippy convertible laptop with a 3:2 touchscreen. (Tom's Hardware)
You can choose between a 1920x1280 LCD or 3000x2000 OLED display, up to 16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD, and either a quad-core 11th generation Intel CPU or... No, that's the only choice.
It does have the Four Essential Keys though.
- Citibank just blew half a billion dollars due to a bad UI. (Ars Technica)
In fairness, it's a really bad UI.
In further fairness, the judge is an idiot, arguing in his decision that major banks wouldn't make huge and obvious blunders.
- This interview with Bill Ottman, CEO of Minds, is worth a listen. (Quillette)
He seems to have his head on straight. While I don't agree with everything they do, they are neither incompetent, nor crazy, nor openly antagonistic towards freedom of thought, where most of their competitors fall into at least two of those categories.
Also, Quillette being an Australian commentary magazine, they got shut down by Facebook. Not being incompetent or crazy themselves they have their own site, their own forums, their own podcast, but one third of their traffic was coming from Facebook.
- As Facebook, YouTube, Amazon, and Twitter have shown very clearly, if you deal with American Big Tech you have to have a backup plan that doesn't involve American Big Tech, because they not only cannot be trusted to do the right thing, or to abide by their own contracts, they can't even be relied upon to obey the law.
Posted by: Dreamlord at Thursday, February 18 2021 11:53 PM (Knf75)
I'm just hoping they can all lose.
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, February 19 2021 12:34 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: normal at Friday, February 19 2021 01:52 AM (LADmw)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, February 19 2021 02:38 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: benzeen at Friday, February 19 2021 06:14 AM (sA62t)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, February 19 2021 11:13 AM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, February 19 2021 11:14 AM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.3441 seconds, 309 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.