Thursday, September 08
Do As I Do, Not As I Say Edition
- When Disney was looking to buy Twitter back in 2016, they dropped the idea not because the site was awash with bots, but because the real users were assholes. (Vox)
You can totally understand a nominally family-oriented company like Disney keeping a long, long way away from Twitter.
But the takeaway from this new interview with former Disney CEO Bob Iger is that the site is flooded with bots, not Twitter's official five percent fairy tale.
Elon Musk took note.
- HP has fixed a severe bug in the support assistant tool they install on PCs. (Bleeping Computer)
The Four Laws of Thermodynamics:
1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.
3. You can't quit the game.
4. Support assist tools are a security nightmare.
- If you have a Cisco RV110W, RV130, RV130W, or RV215W unplug it now, throw it away, and buy a new router. (Bleeping Computer)
And not another Cisco, because those models have a critical password validation flaw and will never be patched.
Cisco says you should buy a new Cisco router, which is a great idea if you're a government department or a masochist.
- The integrated graphics on the new Ryzen 7000 desktop CPUs have been benchmarked. (WCCFTech)
While the graphics is the new RDNA 2 design, it only includes 128 shaders (two "cluster units"), where the laptop 6800U has 768 (12 CUs).
Performance is... Not as terrible as you might think, similar to Intel's integrated graphics. It would have been nice to see 4 CUs instead of just two, since that would be enough to actually play games.
But if you're just doing office work or web browsing or want to boot the system without a graphics card, more than enough.
- The CPU side of things has also been benchmarked. (WCCFTech)
Yeah, it's Geekbench, which is not great. But for comparing two very similar CPUs it's interesting, and it shows the 8 core 7700X ahead of the previous generation 12 core 5900X on multi-threaded tests.
It's really quite good at head-and-shoulders shots. If they can just teach it that arms end with hands, it will be stellar.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, September 09 2022 12:12 AM (BMUHC)
Posted by: normal at Friday, September 09 2022 01:02 AM (LADmw)
Posted by: Starry Knight at Friday, September 09 2022 03:50 AM (a0Eva)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, September 09 2022 12:08 PM (PiXy!)
58 queries taking 0.1044 seconds, 339 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.