Monday, March 07
Born From An Egg On A Mountaintop Edition
- TikTok is exiting Russia. (ZDNet)
Alongside a lot of other companies, yes, but TikTok is owned by China.
According to the Moscow Times, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a new law on Friday that bans what the country calls "fake" news about the military. This law will target any statements referring to the invasion of Ukraine as an "invasion", any attempt to discredit the armed forces, or calls for sanctions on Russia. Those found to be spreading so-called fake news could face up to 15 years in prison.The enemy of my enemy may or may not be my friend, but he ain't gonna go to prison for 15 years just to let me post Bayraktar memes.
- At $480 the WD Red SN700 is the cheapest 4TB NVMe drive I've seen so far. (Tom's Hardware)
It's only PCIe 3, but it's TLC and has a DRAM cache, so it's still a solid performer. Unfortunately the 4TB model and only the 4TB model has an 80% markup in Australia. Fortunately I already have two 4TB SSDs... Three 4TB SSDs... So I don't need any more.
- Nvidia is launching its RTX 3090 Ti - again - on March 29. (WCCFTech)
And the 16GB model of the 3070 Ti is reportedly dead. Again.
- Apple is expected to announce a new, affordable 27" monitor tomorrow. (WCCFTech)
Where by affordable they mean $2500, which is significantly more than I paid for all four of my new monitors.
- Windows Defender is enough, if you configure it right. (0ut3r Space)
Having looked over those recommendations, I'd say just turn it on and hope for the best. That is way too much effort.
- Australia's new anti-trolling legislation is Orwellian garbage. (ZDNet)
Facebook, Twitter, and Google all agree with me on this, which is an unusual situation to find myself in.
- Shut off from advanced technology from the US, Europe, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea, can Russia build home-grown supercomputers? No. (The Register)
"We're basically fucked," says Andrei Sukhov, professor and head of the CAD lab at HSE University in Moscow.
How It Started
How It's Going
Party Like It's 1980-ish Video of the Day
Disclaimer: Where is all this water coming from? [Opens door.] [Closes door.] Oh.
Also, that rock had a subtle crack in it that no-one noticed before and the demoness has been working as CNN since 2005 or so, which explains a lot.
Posted by: normal at Monday, March 07 2022 10:13 PM (obo9H)
Posted by: normal at Tuesday, March 08 2022 10:40 AM (obo9H)
So, if I invade Ukraine, tiktok will cut off access to the children (and child-like cam-whores) in my country? Declare an invasion and send Abdul to the finest hotel in Kiev! This ruse cannot fail!
Posted by: normal at Tuesday, March 08 2022 10:45 AM (obo9H)
Posted by: Rick C at Thursday, March 10 2022 12:28 AM (oPg+d)
58 queries taking 0.0812 seconds, 339 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.