Tuesday, November 22
Keep Calm And Hit The Mute Button Edition
- Why is the entire tech industry imploding at once? (The Atlantic)
Because you locked people into their homes while pumping trillions of dollars into the economy, and then hiked interest rates to combat the inevitable inflation, creating and then bursting a massive bubble.
- With Twitter ushering in a new era of free speech - not just Trump, but dozens of other prominent accounts having been reinstated - liberals are vowing to stay and fight. (The Atlantic)
You have to ask, if they label themselves the "resistance", what exactly they are resisting. They seem extremely upset that one tech company is now run by a middle of the road vaguely libertarian guy who sees their histrionic antics for what they are.
- Tumblr is adding support for ActivityPub so that it can be part of the Fediverse. (Tech Crunch)
All this shit started when Tumblr banned porn. Before then, the crazies were safely contained. Now, Elon Musk has had to spend $44 billion to stop them burning civilisation to the ground.
- Samsung has stolen a lead over everyone else with 3nm chip production - but only 20% of the chips actually work. (WCCFTech)
Early production on a new process often has high failure rates, but a 20% yield is really bad.
- Is wine fake? Well, yes, but also no. (Asterisk)
The article provides some details about a study I'd read of previously, that found that wine experts couldn't tell the difference between red and white wine in a blind tasting. That's not quite true, as most things aren't.
- For example, Pfizer is not hiking the price of COVID vaccines by 400%. (Ars Technica)
It's only 300%.
- Did Sam Bankman-Fried buy off the media? (Reason)
Signs point to yes.
- Trust us, we totally have $10 billion worth of Bitcoin, says Grayscale. (WCCFTech)
"Can we see it?"
They are currently trading at about half of their claimed value.
- Amazon Alexa is on track to earn $10 billion this year. (Ars Technica)
Except in the opposite direction. I'm not sure how they've managed it but Amazon's Telescreen division is bleeding money eight times faster than Twitter was.
I bet anti-white racism is OK, though.
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 23 2022 12:22 AM (BMUHC)
My circumstances may include a fair amount of long term disability, and I would staunchly defend ableism.
The woke idea of how to 'help' disabled is about the most insane, most useless, and most destructive approach possible.
Just about everything they condemn as 'ableism' is good, productive ways of handling the challenges. They mix that into the same category as a thug going around beating to death people in wheelchairs, or whatever. This pretty much does not happen, except at the hands of government doctors.
Posted by: Pat Buckman at Wednesday, November 23 2022 02:51 AM (r9O5h)
Posted by: Rick C at Wednesday, November 23 2022 03:14 AM (BMUHC)
Posted by: onepearlb at Tuesday, January 31 2023 09:43 PM (X4iOR)
58 queries taking 0.0913 seconds, 337 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.