Monday, August 12
It Doesn't Do Nothin' Edition
- The mClassic "plug and play graphics processor" is an is an HDMI-to-HDMI adaptor that probably includes an upscaler / colour-correction chip. (Tom's Hardware / Indiegogo)
Which your TV already has. If you have an older console with HDMI feeding into an older monitor with 2560x1440 native resolution and a linear upscaler, this might be what you need to improve the picture quality. Otherwise it's likely useless.
- Intel's Phantom Canyon NUC will have 10nm CPUs when it arrives in 2021 unless it doesn't. (WCCFTech)
- Multi-threading is still hopelessly broken: A Python retrospective. (ZDNet)
- Lenovo's new 1U Epyc server offers room for 16 hot swap 2.5" U.2 SSDs. (Serve the Home)
10 at the front, 2 at the rear, and four... At the sides? Or something. So hot swap once you've dismantled the rack.
Also worth noting that Lenovo are concentrating on single-socket models, not the usual dual-socket. Exactly how much of the market needs more than 64 cores remains to be seen; I expect a lot of dual-socket servers are sold with two 12-core Xeon Silver CPUs (or their earlier counterparts) and could easily be replaced by even a low-end Epyc now.
- Samsung just announced a 108-megapixel camera module for smartphones. (Thurrott.com)
It's a lot bigger than most current camera. It would have to be, because current camera pixel sizes are close to the wavelength of visible light. Make them much smaller and they won't actually work.
- Custom Radeon 5700 cards are arriving. Do they solve the issues with the reference design? Are they worth the extra $10?
Yeah, pretty much. It's not a lot faster, but it is quieter and cooler and doesn't really cost any more.
Video of the Day
Okay, very nice, but what does it actually do... Oh. Be right back re-doing the bathroom to be fractally annoying.
Posted by: Mauser at Tuesday, August 13 2019 12:34 PM (Ix1l6)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Tuesday, August 13 2019 02:00 PM (PiXy!)
Posted by: Mauser at Wednesday, August 14 2019 12:51 PM (Ix1l6)
Posted by: J Greely at Thursday, August 15 2019 10:38 AM (LGSd2)
58 queries taking 0.1591 seconds, 293 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.