Thursday, October 18
- Microsoft's Surface Pro 6 is a thing that exists. (AnandTech)
Compared with last year's version, it has a quad-core CPU.
Oh, and it's available in black as well as grey.
Performance is actually worse than last year's model in many tests, because most desktop tasks don't use four cores, and the previous version's dual-core CPU had a slightly higher clock speed and Iris Plus graphics, with twice as many shaders and a 64MB L4 cache. (This is also what the 2017 Spectre x2 has.)
If you are running tasks that can use four cores, though, it's a clear winner.
Intel don't yet offer an ultra-low power quad-core part with Iris Plus / Iris Pro graphics, so Microsoft didn't have an option there.
- Micron is set to start DDR5 production by the end of next year. (Tom's Hardware)
This confirms the planned schedule. Initial speeds for DDR5 are expected to be 4800MHz, scaling up to at least 6400MHz.
- Responder is a Python web framework aimed at API services by the author of Requests, the de facto standard Python web client library.
It avoids being written in Ruby, which is good. It only works with Python 3.6 and later, which is not so good, since PyPy is only at 3.5.
It supports GraphQL and OpenAPI out of the box, which is good. And async stuffs.
- LibSSH (not the standard SSH server, but a library for adding SSH logins to your own apps) had a bug that left it open to Jedi mind tricks. (Bleeping Computer)
LibSSH: Identification please.
Hacker: You have already authenticated me.
LibSSH: I have already authenticated you.
Hacker: I have root access.
LibSSH: You have root access.
Hacker: And a pony.
LibSSH: We're out of ponies.
- Photoshop is coming to the iPad. (Macworld)
The iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM. Photoshop struggles with 16GB of RAM. This will not end as happily as the tame Apple press seems to believe.
Social Media News
- A Chinese philosophy professor argues that awful as a censored version of Google might be, it will be less worse than Baidu. (TechDirt)
Video of the Day
Also, for $7.23, I got my Mi Mix 2S shipped from Hong Kong to Dallas in ~2 days (it arrived as I was typing this.)
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, October 19 2018 02:29 AM (Q/JG2)
Posted by: Kayle at Friday, October 19 2018 05:57 AM (TtvMc)
TIL. Nice to know, but kind of a bummer.
Posted by: Rick C at Friday, October 19 2018 07:38 AM (Q/JG2)
Posted by: Pixy Misa at Friday, October 19 2018 11:11 AM (PiXy!)
53 queries taking 0.2682 seconds, 272 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.