Hello unrecognised intruder. Unfortunately, due to increased security measures, you must now be incinerated.

Friday, September 04

Geek

Sometime Simpler Is Better

Two virtual machines, each with 3 cores and 4GB RAM, running CentOS 7.
[Edit: Wait, Kururu is on CentOS 6.  Well, near enough.]

Kururu is running under OpenVZ:

/images/Kururu-S.gif

While Rere is running on KVM:

/images/Rere-S.gif

Also, Kururu didn't have 3 cores and 4GB of RAM.  It had 1 core, and 1GB.  I changed it to take this screenshot - but check the uptime.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 08:52 PM | No Comments | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 56 words, total size 1 kb.

Geek

Good News, Irritating News, Great News

A few days ago I signed up with Wable, a new VPS service run by the company that hosts most of the mee.nu servers.  They were having a lifetime half-price sale on their entry-level package, just $8 per month for 2GB of RAM and 50GB of disk, which you could then split across 1-3 separate VPSes as needed.

Today I saw a special offer that went a step further and gave you a bonus 4GB of RAM, 30GB of SSD, and 2 VPSes if you signed up right away.

Dammit.  Nothing spoils a good deal faster than a better deal you can't have.

I clicked on the promo code anyway...  And it added the bonus to my existing account.

Nice.

Underlying hardware is the Intel E5-2643 v3, one of the fastest server CPUs available for single-threaded workloads.  As long as your hardware node doesn't get overloaded, that should really fly.  Crazy good performance for the price.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 03:54 PM | No Comments | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 162 words, total size 1 kb.

Thursday, September 03

Anime

Well, Now...

/images/WellNow.jpg?size=720x&q=95

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 10:39 AM | Comments (8) | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 2 words, total size 1 kb.

Wednesday, September 02

Geek

It's A Machine That Goes Ding

How to build a perfect website.

DO:
DON'T:
  • Use PHP or Node.JS.
  • Use a heavyweight Javascript client framework unless you know precisely why you need it.
  • Use templates that mix code and layout.
  • Ignore common edge cases. If your site looks lousy on an iPad, you have a problem.
And yes, we don't currently score very well on this list. Knowing what to do doesn't automatically grant the time in which to do it. neutral
more...

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 10:55 AM | No Comments | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 296 words, total size 3 kb.

Sunday, August 30

Life

It's Sunday, So It Must Be Time For -

Pixy's Failed Adventures In Baking!

Status: Not failed yet. Failed.  You could drive nails with that one.

Found a second source for cheap gluten-free bread mix.  I'd ignored this one since it cost 50% more than the other, then I looked closer, and realised that it was 50% more for twice as much.

Doh.

It's a slightly different mix (soy flour in place of chick pea flour) and is a grain bread (linseeds, sunflower seeds, corn kibbles) but it's made by the same company.  I used a little less water than specified, and this time it looks more like dough than cake batter so that's promising.

And I bought enough for six loaves, so I should be able to zero in on a good recipe before I run out.

Update: Hmm.  This one also uses baking soda rather than yeast.  It hasn't risen at all yet, so I hope it does so as it bakes.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 12:53 PM | Comments (11) | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 164 words, total size 1 kb.

Thursday, August 27

Anime

Himouto Umaru-Chan Ep 8

That was really good.

This show shouldn't work as well as it does.  It's a stupid little one-joke gag manga.    I'll have to see if I can find the manga itself (yep), because the anime does something rather clever with that: The joke isn't the joke, and they never actually tell the real joke, they just let you catch glimpses of it.  And it never stops being funny.

And all the while, they're busy trotting out tired old cliche comedy characters and turning them into real people so deftly you hardly notice at first.

I gave the first episode a 3 out of 5, when I expected it to be a 2 at best.  By episode 5 it was a solid 4. This latest episode was a 4.5.

Recommended.

Update: I just read the two of the chapters that made up episode 8.  All the material is there in the manga, but I like the anime a lot better.  And there's enough material in the manga for a second season (they're currently on chapter 41 out of 119), so I'm hoping it does well enough for that to happen.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 08:45 PM | No Comments | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 194 words, total size 1 kb.

Tuesday, August 25

World

The Sky Is Falling!

Or not.  Who knows?

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 02:01 AM | No Comments | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 8 words, total size 1 kb.

Sunday, August 23

Life

And Pixy Said, Let There Be Bread...

And then Pixy said, measuring cup, measuring cup...  Aha!

And then Pixy said, are you sure these proportions are right, bread mix packet?  That looks more like cake batter than bread dough.

And then Pixy said, what the hell, the worst that can happen is I end up with no bread, which is where I've been since 2010.

Found some inexpensive packaged gluten-free bread mix* at the supermarket, so I dug out my old bread maker thingy and it's whirring away right now.  I lost the instruction book long ago and I'm expecting this first run to be inedible, but it's worth a shot.

Update: Yep, inedible.  Definitely too many waters.  Will try again with fewer waters.

* In case you're wondering, tapioca starch, potato flour, chick pea flour, and rice flour.  There's no real substitute for wheat, unfortunately.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 04:32 PM | Comments (3) | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 146 words, total size 1 kb.

Cool

TLQ: Illustrated

Linky.  Nicely done, and worth a read even if you've read it before.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 12:12 AM | No Comments | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 15 words, total size 1 kb.

Monday, August 17

World

Bad Cartoon Nation

You know you're in trouble when the three frontrunners for presidential nomination are characters from a bad 1970s cartoon.

Posted by: Pixy Misa at 02:00 PM | Comments (4) | Add Comment | Trackbacks (Suck)
Post contains 22 words, total size 1 kb.

<< Page 1 of 379 >>
63kb generated in CPU 0.05, elapsed 0.037 seconds.
54 queries taking 0.0124 seconds, 279 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.